Sunday, October 9, 2011

Mind Mapping Can Make You Happier!

Tony Buzan first introduced the concept of mind mapping in the late 60’s, and during the 60’s and 70’s he wrote his first books to introduce his ideas and techniques to the rest of the world.  The basis of mind maps combines the use of words, colours and pictures in a way which has a myriad of uses and applications to individuals and by extension to organisations.

Whilst lots of people find mind mapping a great way of developing and releasing ideas; enabling them to bring structure to disparate thoughts, there are still many who are either reticent or even sceptical.

Buzan suggests that those who fall into this latter category might see the images created as primitive, childish and immature.  It can therefore be quite challenging to introduce the theories, techniques and skills required to less receptive organisations.

Personally I love using mind maps.  I was trained in the early 80’s and have never looked back.  I use them for note taking, taking consultancy briefs and of course programme planning where relationships between ideas could never be captured by lateral notes.

Now when I work with groups, by providing large sheets of paper (A3 is ideal), some coloured felt tip pens and plenty of encouragement it is amazing how those who have a go are surprised at the pleasure they get from the results of their efforts, and how effective their mind maps can be. 

Helen MacKinlay, of MacKinlay Minds promotes the benefits of doodling in her article “Doodle to Help you Think”.  Based on the same broad concept as mind mapping, Helen describes how people who doodle during meetings or whilst on the phone are more engaged and have higher levels of retention, certainly than those who sit and daydream.

As a result of her article which you can access by clicking on this link http://tinyurl.com/6f6xmnf I have been inspired to buy a note book of the type she describes.  I’ll let you know how I get on.

But I am not the only person promoting the values of mind mapping. Check out the following blog from Paul Foreman from Mindmap Inspiration with his latest mindmap on “Ideas shared are ideas aired” http://tinyurl.com/6xt5j3p 

There has never been a better time to give mind mapping a go with Think Buzan offering the latest software version of iMindMap 5 on free trial for 7 days info@thinkbuzan.com .

Go on, give yourself a chance to use this technique, it may even make you happier!

I would love to know how you get on.

1 comment:

  1. I also love mind maps, really harnesses my creative side! I actually started to do one for the introduction section of my Development Programme presentation and enjoyed it so much I did the whole thing as a mind map ( electronic version called Mind Jet) It was instinctively so easy to present and I had absolutely no nerves when I was presenting. The mind map parts scroll out and you can follow your line of thought much easier than a regular Power Point presentation Gives a big wow factor as well as you can attach supplementary information and pictures.

    ReplyDelete